East Riding Emotional Wellbeing Service

The East Riding Emotional Wellbeing Service works with adults over 16 who suffer from a range of mild to moderate mental health problems.

How do I get referred?

Clients can be referred through their GP, health visitor or other health and social care professionals via the Mental Health Response Service.

You can self refer using the following options:

Telephone: 01482 335451
Text TALK to 60163
Email: HNF-TR.SelfReferral@nhs.net
Online: IAPT Portal

Visit www.humber.nhs.uk for information about other services provided by Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust

A GP referral offers an advantage to potential patients because GPs may be able to offer additional advice and support.

What happens next?

The Assessment & Brokerage Service is the gateway to all the AQP IAPT providers operating in the East Riding area.

When you contact us to “opt in”, one of the following will happen based on the information provided with your referral to this service.

1. You may be asked to book an initial telephone assessment appointment. We’ve found this is the bets way to start to understand what might be helpful for you, without disrupting your day. This call would be with a therapist from our team, on a number you prefer, at a time and day you have agreed would be convenient.

The call will last approximately 30 - 50 minutes. You will need a quiet space to speak and you will be asked some questions to help us obtain a better understanding of the difficulties you are currently experiencing and of the effects they have on your life.

2. You may be asked to book a face to face assessment appointment with a therapist at one of our local venues.

During this initial assessment, if suitable, we will discuss which AQP service can provide the most appropriate treatment for your assessed needs. You will then have the choice of which provider you want to be referred onto for treatment (and how you want to receive this treatment) as some offer web-based treatments only, or a combination of options.

Who will treat you?

Psychological Wellbeing Practioners (PWPs)

PWPs work with people who have mild to moderate depression using low-intensity treatment.

Low-intensity treatment may take the form of:

  • Guided self-help (which can be delivered over the telephone)
  • Brief face-to-face psychological interventions (up to six sessions).
  • Guided use of computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (cCBT).
  • Psychoeducational workshops and groups
  • High Intensity Workers

    A person who is severely depressed or does not respond to low-intensity treatment may need high intensity treatment involving up to 14 therapy sessions, normally on a face-to-face basis. This treatment is provided by a High Intensity Worker.

    These roles are likely to be delivered by a mix of professions including CBT therapists, clinical psychologists, counsellors, nurses, occupational therapists and psychotherapists. For some anxiety conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia or obsessive-compulsive disorder, patients normally go straight to high-intensity treatment (usually 7 to 14 sessions), unless the problem is very mild or recent.

    High-intensity treatment is also recommended for other persistent anxiety disorders (generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder), but guided self-help, including computerised CBT, has been shown to be effective for some individuals and can be deployed in a stepped care system.


    Counsellors use various psychological therapies, such as: person centred, psychodynamic or solution focussed brief counselling in order to help people with psychological and emotional difficulties.

    How does Counselling work?
    • Counselling is a talking therapy. It isn’t the same as talking to a friend (although this may be helpful).
    • Counselling provides a safe and confidential space to think about and explore any problems causing you distress.

    Many personal problems can be helped through counselling and these may include:
    • Depression, bereavement and loss
    • Loneliness, relationship difficulties
    • Stress, low self-esteem
    Through exploring issues with a counsellor you may gain new understanding which can support you in finding your way forward.

    What can I do to make sure I get the most out of coming to counselling?
    • It is important to be open and honest with the counsellor otherwise the counsellor won’t know how to help you.
    • Be committed and attend all sessions offered.
    • Counselling may unsettle you at first because you’ll be talking about things you may feel deeply about or about which you rarely if ever speak about.
    • It takes time for changes to take effect so give the counselling time to work.
    • The counsellor will not try to solve your problem for you or offer you a magic solution. Instead you and the counsellor will work jointly to help you to feel better.
    • You may be asked to do some work yourself between sessions such as keeping a journal or a record of certain types of thoughts you have. This will help you to think about things for yourself and apply things learned in sessions.

    As the courses are taught, there will be no pressure for you to talk. You will not have to stand up, introduce yourself and tell everyone why you are there. We aim to teach you ways of coping with the situations in your life that are causing you problems.

    People often find that the foundation course is enough to clarify difficulties and explore more helpful ways of coping.

    However, if after trying this option you feel you need more help, you can make a further appointment where we will review your next steps. There are a range of additional, more indepth therapies that will be discussed with you if required.

    AQP Providers

    The Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust Assessment and Brokerage Service is the gateway to all the AQP providers for primary care mental health in this area. After your assessment we can talk you through the providers that are most appropriate for you, and you will have the choice of which provider you want for treatment.

    Please click on the logos below to find out more about Any Qualified Providers.